EGG HOLDER DECORATION – FARMHOUSE STYLE
Recently I spotted this ceramic egg holder at a local store, and it looked so unique and rustic to me….perfect for the style I have in my home. Not to mention, it was only 99 cents, so I knew I needed to give it a home. 😉
If you follow us on Instagram, you might remember that I started herbs from seeds a few weeks ago. They have been sitting in their cardboard containers in the window, but I plan to move them to something larger and cuter, like mason jars, soon.
In the meantime, while my herbs are just sprouts, they make such a rustic, farmhouse-style centerpiece sitting in this egg holder! It adds such a nice touch to my kitchen!
Not to worry, when these ones grow out of their eggshells, I’ll start more so I can continue to enjoy this egg holder as a decoration. The rustic, farmhouse-style charm of this piece combined with the eggshell seedlings just has me attached! 😉
MAKING YOUR EGG HOLDER DECORATION
This is how easy it is to start seedlings in eggshells:
- Carefully crack your eggs so that you remove only about the top third of the eggshell.
- Rinse out the eggshell.
- Fill the eggshell with good soil and top with a few seeds of your choice.
- Gently press the seeds down into the soil, just 1/4″ or so.
- Mist the soil with water daily, and be sure to give it plenty of sunshine!
- When the herbs or plants outgrow the eggshell, simply peel the bottom of the eggshell off (leave most of it on, just let the roots get out) and place the entire eggshell plant into a larger planter or your outdoor garden.
WHERE TO FIND CERAMIC EGG HOLDERS
I’ve researched and found the best places to shop for ceramic egg holders:
- Walmart: They have a couple of in-store-only options, and a couple others available online. It looks like they currently have only white or turquoise available. Price range: $8.54-$26.94
- Etsy: Shady Lane Ceramics does custom orders, so you can choose any color! Price range: $25
- Amazon: Lots of options here! Price range: $8.54 – $23.97
- Avon: Only one option here, but the price is right. Price: $9.99
- Target: Options will vary from store to store….and Target is always good for a sale! Price: $7.99 – $17.99
- Kohls: I see three options online, but they have had more in the past. You can almost always get a coupon for Kohls. Or, if you have Kohls Cash to spend, these would be great options! Price range: $16.99 – $33.99 (*the third one, Rachael Ray, is less than half the price on Amazon!)