I tried making some homemade Samoa Cookies the other day, and boy, they were the bomb. Sweet caramel-y coconut mounded on top of a fudge stripe shortbread . . . couldn’t get better, or easier!
So I found a way to have that flavor sitting in my cupboard for the next couple months. 😀 Samoa Granola has all the decadent taste, but you’re not eating cookies for breakfast so you don’t have to feel bad. hehe
My favorite way to eat granola is in a bowl and drowning it in milk, but it’s also amazing on top of yogurt or vanilla ice cream. Or, just snacking on it the way it is!
So here is the super easy way to make this addicting treat.
I found these caramel bits at Walmart for $1.98 for the bag. I’d never used them before and wow, they are fantastic! SO easy to melt and without all the hassle of unwrapping caramels.
I mixed together my oats, coconut, and brown sugar.
Next I mixed together boiling water, vegetable oil, and salt, and poured it over the dry ingredients.
Then I stirred it all up and spread it on to cookie sheets.
I popped it in the 225 degree oven for 3 hours, never stirring it.
Then I pulled it out and sprinkled the chocolate chips over the top so that they melted a bit, just enough to stick.
After letting that cool completely, I heated the caramels in the microwave with a little cream until smooth.
Then I drizzled the caramel over the granola and let cool.
DEE – LICIOUS!!
Homemade Samoa Granola (Tastes like the Girl Scout Cookies!)
Rich caramell-y coconut and chocolate chip granola
7 cups quick oats
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 Tablespoon salt
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup caramel bits
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Combine oats, sugar and coconut in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together oil, water, and salt.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients.
- Spread in 3 large pans and bake at 225° for 3 hours. Don’t stir unless absolutely necessary. (this will help the granola to cluster)
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top while the granola is still warm.
- When granola is cooled completely, melt the caramel bits and cream in a microwave safe bowl. Drizzle over the top of the cooled granola. Let cool until the caramel is firm.
In the mood for more granola?
Try our mom’s famous Peanut Butter Granola!
or this original blend!