Need to make sure that you have everything covered for your next birthday party?
Parties are so much fun to plan, but sometimes it can be overwhelming to make sure every area is covered and that you’re not forgetting anything. Run through this list, which covers everything, and you’ll be sure to have the perfect party with no last-minute “oops I forgot about that” moments. 🙂
Make these decisions before you do ANYthing else.
- What’s your budget? – make a plan and stick to it
- Where is the party? – will it be big enough for everyone you’re planning to invite?
- When is the party? – what time will work best for everyone, or at least for the most important guests
- How long will the party be?
- What’s the theme? – Pinterest time! Make a Pinterest board dedicated to the party. You may see something and think you’ll remember it, but just pin it and you can go back later and not forget all the cute ideas you saw
- What is Plan B in case of weather disruption?
- What is the birthday girl/boy going to wear?
- What games, activities, and entertainment will there be at the party?
Find out who is going to be at the party.
- Make a guest list. – just family? church friends? school friends?
- Make or order invitations. – check out Rachel’s Etsy shop where she custom designs invitations
- Send the invitations.
- Follow up with guests who haven’t RSVP’d.
Decide what kind of food and drink will be served at the party.
- Plan the menu. – just cake? or lunch? drinks?
- Make your shopping list.
- Buy non-perishable food. – ALDI has great budget-friendly party food! Check out this post.
- Buy perishable food – when the party gets close
Reserve venues and place orders.
- Order food. – if you’re making it yourself, you don’t have to worry about this!
- Order cake or desserts – we have several cupcake recipes you can make yourself
- Rent any chairs or tables you’ll need.
- Book any other entertainment or vendors.
- Drinks & ice
- Serving dishes or platters
- Birthday cake candles
- Party favors
- Decor – balloons, streamers, banners, pictures, etc
- Thank you cards
Anything that can be done ahead of time, DO.
- Make DIY decor.
- Make a music playlist and pick what device you’ll be playing it on. – hooking your phone up to your home theater speakers? You won’t have your phone for other things like taking pictures, etc, so you may want to use another device if you have one.
- If the party is at your house, clean and mow the grass.
The day before the party, get these things done.
- Decorate. – wait for balloons until the party day, otherwise they may shrink overnight.
- Make all the party food that can be made ahead.
- Make sure you know what you are taking pictures with, and charge your camera or phone and make sure it has plenty of memory available.
You’re almost ready for the party, just a few last minute things on the day of the party.
- Chill drinks.
- Prepare any food that still needs made.
- Pick up the cake or dessert, unless you made it yourself 🙂
- Take pictures!
- Keep track of all the gifts to send thank you cards.
And . . . it’s all over.
- Write personal thank you cards.
- Print pictures.
- Jot down notes for next time. – what worked REALLY well at the party? what was something you’d do different next time?