Easy fluffy angel food cake layered with a creamy apricot filling – only uses 4 ingredients!!!
When the weather starts to warm up, I’m all about sweet and juicy fruit flavors. Apricot jam is one of my favorites, and so is angel food cake . . . so I decided to come up with these incredibly simple dessert that is perfect for spring & summer. And if you are not an apricot fan, you can substitute raspberry jam, strawberry jam, lemon curd – whatever fruit you prefer. Now, on to the ridiculously simple recipe.
Start out by using an angel food cake mix to make your cake. I used the Betty Crocker boxed mix. All you do is add water! You’ll pour your batter into 2 loaf pans and bake.
When they are finished baking, you’ll want to make sure to let them cool resting on their side, as pictured on the cake mix box.
While the cakes are cooling, you will make your creamy apricot filling by beating together softened cream cheese and apricot jam, and folding in whipped cream. That’s it.
Once the cakes are cool, remove them from the pans, and slice one cake in half so you have your two layers. I froze my “extra” cake for later. Or you can double your “fluff” and make 2 cakes!
Spread half of the fluff onto one half cake, then place the other cake on top. Spread the rest of the fluff onto the top, then gently spoon apricot jam over the very top.
- 1 box angel food cake mix
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1 tub cool whip, thawed
- Prepare cake acoording to directions on box. Bake cakes in 2 9 inch loaf pans.
- While cakes are cooling, prepare filling.
- Beat cream cheese and 2/3 cup of the apricot jam until blended.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- When cakes are cool, slice in half.
- Spread 1/2 creamy filling on to one half of cake.
- Place the other half of cake on top, and spread the rest of the creamy filling on top.
- Gently smooth the other 1/3 cup apricot jam over the top.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least 1 hour before serving.
This easy angel food cake recipe will wow your guests even tho it is simple and quick to throw together!
Need some more dessert inspiration?
This is one of our best recipes ever:
And this is another one of our favorites, creamy and cool Dreamsicle Fluff!