Easy fluffy layered angel food cake with a creamy apricot filling – only uses 4 ingredients!!!
When the weather starts to warm up, I’m all about sweet and juicy fruit flavors. Apricot jam is one of my favorites, and so is layered angel food cake . . . so I decided to come up with these incredibly simple dessert that is perfect for spring & summer. And if you are not an apricot fan, you can substitute raspberry jam, strawberry jam, lemon curd – whatever fruit you prefer. Now, on to the ridiculously simple recipe.
What is layered angel food cake made of?
Start out by using an angel food cake mix to make your cake. I used the Betty Crocker boxed mix. All you do is add water! You’ll pour your batter into 2 loaf pans and bake.
You can also make your favorite angel food cake from scratch, like this one from Taste of Home.
Do you have to cool angel food cake upside down?
If you are using the cake mix in loaf pans, you’ll want to make sure to let them cool resting on their side, as pictured on the cake mix box. Always run a knife along the side of the pan before removing, since angel food cakes get their height from sticking to the sides of the pan.
While the cakes are cooling, you will make your creamy apricot filling by beating together softened cream cheese and apricot jam, and folding in whipped cream. That’s it.
Once the cakes are cool, remove them from the pans, and slice one cake in half so you have your two layers. I froze my “extra” cake for later. Or you can double your “fluff” and make 2 cakes!
Spread half of the fluff onto one half cake, then place the other cake on top. Spread the rest of the fluff onto the top, then gently spoon apricot jam over the very top.
Are there substitutions I can make?
- Yes! You can skip the cream cheese and only use whipped cream plus jam, as noted below.
- Play around with the flavors of jam to make this cake your own. I love this recipe using raspberry jam or blueberry preserves.
- You can use this recipe to make three 7″ or 8″ cake layers, or four 6″ cake layers. You can also make cupcakes with the angel food cake batter, and top them with the filling.
How to make this angel food cake with Cool Whip?
- You can make the filling without the cream cheese and only use cool whip.
- Softly fold the jam into the whipped cream, taking care not to stir the cream too much.
- Layer the cake as usual.
Can I make this layered angel food cake in advance?
- I would recommend making this cake 1-2 days in advance, but no longer than that, or the layers may start to get soggy.
- You can definitely make the angel food cake layers in advance. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days, if longer, then store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- The whipped filling can be made in advance, and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How long does it take to make angel food cake?
All together, this cake takes about 1 hour to bake, 1 hour to cool and fill, and 1 hour to chill in the refrigerator before serving.
- 1 box angel food cake mix
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1 tub cool whip, thawed
- Prepare cake acoording to directions on box. Bake cakes in 2 9 inch loaf pans.
- While cakes are cooling, prepare filling.
- Beat cream cheese and 2/3 cup of the apricot jam until blended.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- When cakes are cool, slice in half.
- Spread 1/2 creamy filling on to one half of cake.
- Place the other half of cake on top, and spread the rest of the creamy filling on top.
- Gently smooth the other 1/3 cup apricot jam over the top.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least 1 hour before serving.
This easy angel food cake recipe will wow your guests even tho it is simple and quick to throw together!
Need some more dessert inspiration?
This is one of our best recipes ever:
And this is another one of our favorites, creamy and cool Dreamsicle Fluff!