This is the perfect stew for a cold day – the flavors are so warm and delicious! I love wrapping myself up in a big sweater and curling up on the couch with a bowl of this yummy goodness!
Start by chopping a couple onions and dicing a few gloves of garlic (I always say you can never have too much garlic so 6-8 cloves is what I would do).
Next, chop a few medium sized sweet potatoes, a butternut squash, and a couple fresh tomatoes. Set those aside.
In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and spices. Cook onions until soft.
Next, add the squash, tomatoes, and potatoes and let those cook for a few minutes. Then, add just a splash of cider vinegar to get the spices off the bottom of the pan. Stir everything together.
Now add broth and dry quinoa. Make sure your quinoa has been rinsed and strained a couple times in cold water to get rid of the starchy flavor.
Let all the wonderful flavors cook together for about 35 minutes or until the potatoes and squash are soft and the quinoa is thoroughly cooked. Throughout the cooking process, occasionally tasting and adjusting seasonings is highly recommended 🙂 But be careful – you may end up eating the whole pot!
While the stew is simmering, strip some kale off the stem and roughly chop. About five minutes before the stew is done cooking, add the kale and let it wilt. Stir and adjust seasonings if needed.
This stew is even better the next couple days – the flavors marry together even more overnight! I would recommend you add a splash of broth when reheating; the quinoa will soak up more liquid as it sits in the fridge.
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled & chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- apple cider vinegar
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- one bunch of kale
- In a pot over the stove, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and spices.
- Cook until onions are soft.
- Add squash and potatoes. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add a splash of vinegar to deglaze the bottom of the pot. Stir everything together.
- Add broth and quinoa.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes.
- Add chopped kale and cook for 5-8 minutes or until kale is wilted.
- Add cooked chicken or turkey for a heartier stew.
- Substitute canned tomatoes for chopped fresh tomatoes.