Green bell peppers stuffed with a cheesy chicken enchilada filling, topped with sour cream and tortilla chips
I don’t know about you, but I have had SO much garden produce this year! We don’t have a garden right now, but my friend has given us lots of fresh veggies and we have enjoyed it so very much. Plus, we have tons of Amish neighbors in this part of Ohio, so any time I need anything I can go 5 minutes down the road to buy some produce from their gardens.
My husband and I came up with this recipe last night and I had to share because they were SO GOOD. And pretty healthy too!
I started out by halving my peppers and cleaning out the insides.
Next I mixed up the filling:
cooked and chopped chicken breast
1 small can Rotel
1 small can red enchilada sauce
lightly fried and chopped corn tortillas
If you want this dinner to be low carb, just eliminate the corn tortillas.
Next just fill up your pepper halves with the enchilada filling.
Then they get covered with foil, and baked in the oven at 400 for about 30 minutes, or until peppers are tender. Once they were about ready, I sprinkled more cheese on top and let it melt.
They are great topped with sour cream and crushed tortilla chips if you like. I served mine with rice and it made a fantastic, satisfying, and healthy meal!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
- 4 green peppers
- 1 lb cooked and chopped chicken breast
- 1 sm can tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 sm can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 4 corn tortillas, lightly fried and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Sour cream (optional)
- Crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- Cut the peppers in half and clean out the insides.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, cheese, tortillas, and spices.
- Place the pepper halves on a cookie sheet and fill with filling.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Sprinkle more cheese on top and bake for 3 more minutes.
- Top with sour cream and crushed tortilla chips if desired.
Want more easy dinner ideas?