Espresso Chocolate Chunk Muffins with Espresso Cream Glaze
What will get you out of bed faster than Espresso Muffins waiting for you in the kitchen?! 🙂
Try this luscious, cozy muffin recipe to perk up your mornings – the strong, bold flavor of espresso (we make it easy and use Starbucks VIA’s!) combined with chunks of dark chocolate in a warm, oozy muffin make this recipe one you’ll find yourself coming back to time and time again!
I mean, combine strong coffee and chocolate chunks and how can you NOT get amazing flavor??!
(I’ve got a great NON-COFFEE muffin recipe that you might want to make if you’ve got kids that you DON’T want to caffeinate…I mean, honestly, who really wants caffeinated kids…. 😁 Scroll to the end for that blurb and link.😉)
It only takes 5 or 6 minutes to mix up this batter….which smells and looks incredibly delicious, by the way….
The recipe includes an espresso cream glaze…BUT, they are totally wonderful even without the glaze!
They seem more luscious and beautiful when they’re baked JUMBO sized, honestly! 😉
If you want to gift these to a new mom, new family in the neighborhood, or to a friend “just because” and really impress them, I recommend going with the jumbo muffin pan!
I have the Wilton Bake It Better Jumbo Muffin Pan (with 9 cups) (I think it was $5, by the way?!) and nothing sticks – SO nice since I’m not lining them with muffin papers. The quality of this specific muffin pan is excellent.
Enjoy this yummy Espresso Chocolate Chunk Muffin any time of the day – breakfast, snack, dessert, it’s all good. 😉
I, of course, love enjoying this muffin alongside a cup of hot coffee. Yum!
That glaze, though….coffee-infused sweetness! Either drizzle it over, OR just dip the tops of the muffins into the glaze for a “full coat.” 😉
This glaze hardens after a few minutes, so they don’t end up sticky or messy!
:: PIN FOR LATER ::
For the muffins:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Starbucks VIA
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon coffee extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chunks
For the glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2-1 Starbucks VIA, depending on the strength you like
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream (or milk)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, whisk first five ingredients until combined and set aside.
- Place eggs and sugars in the bowl of your stand mixer, and mix until combined. Add the milk, oil, and extract and mix for another minute.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix on low just until combined.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chunks.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins lined with muffin papers or sprayed with cooking spray. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375 for 20-22 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 5 minutes in pan, then remove muffins from pan and place onto a cooling rack.
- For the glaze, dissolve 1/2-1 Starbucks VIA into 2 T. hot water.
- Put powdered sugar into stand mixer and add the hot coffee mixture and cream.
- Mix until combined, then drizzle over cooled muffins.
If you have kids and want an alternative, NON-caffeinated muffin for them, these Raisin Bran Muffins are always a hit with my kids!
The amazing thing about this recipe is that it starts with a box of Raisin Bran (easy)…and you can keep the batter in the fridge for a month and just scoop some into muffin pans to bake when you’re ready. They’re so much fresher this way!