Mmmmm. Ham & Broccoli Potato Soup.
My family LOVES soup! So much so, that when my 5 yr old sees me making dinner, he asks, Is it soup for dinner Mommy? And erupts with a cheer when it is confirmed. 🙂 HAHA
So trust me when I tell you this Ham & Broccoli Potato Soup is good!! It’s everything a winter soup should be…… creamy, hearty, healthy and delicious!! It is full of ham, potatoes, broccoli and cheese.
I had leftover ham from Christmas, and I wanted to make a potato soup with it, but I just needed broccoli in it too. Perfect combo. It reminds me of a loaded ham and broccoli baked potato, but so much yummier. And I would much rather eat my dinner with a spoon anyway. 😉
We sisters always have a stash of cooked chicken, shredded or chopped, in our freezers, so we can whip up a meal in minutes on crazy days… you could maybe put chicken in this soup in place of the ham. But I would suggest our Chicken Pot Pie Soup if chicken is what is on hand.
If you want to stay away from dairy and the creaminess altogether, this Hearty Cabbage Soup will be right up your alley. It is filling and flavorful, but low calorie and low carb!!! Sausage, Italian flavor, tomatoes, and lots of cabbage.
Ham and Broccoli Potato Soup
You’ll need to do just a little prep…. chop the onion and garlic, peel and chop the potatoes and chop up the broccoli. One you get things prepped, it will come together easily in one pot.
This makes a good size pot of soup. Around 10 servings I would say. Maybe 8 large servings. Leftover soup is welcome at my house. It makes for a quick lunch the next day!
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups ham, chopped
- 6 Tbl butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 heaping cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper
- In large pot or dutch oven, cook butter and onions, until onions are transluscent. Add in garlic and cook for one minute.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the broth and 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add milk, potatoes, broccoli, and ham. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potaotes and broccoli are tender.
- Slowly whisk in cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cheese on top.