Add these Hot Cocoa Cupcakes to your Christmas Break fun list! Kids love to help out in the kitchen, and when marshmallows and chocolate chips are included…. it’s sure to bring fun memories and joy to your home!
These cupcakes….. OH MY…… so yummy! The frosting is made with packets of hot cocoa, so it literally tastes like the REAL THING.
We know the holidays can all of a sudden become a busy crazy time of trying to get all those last minute treats made, all the decorations perfect, gifts purchased and wrapped, etc, etc…. check out our adorable buffalo plaid printables to add some holiday cheer in a jiffy! We LOVE these!!!
Now for these cupcakes…..I started with my FAVORITE chocolate cupcakes.
To make the frosting, I beat softened butter and powdered sugar together to start. On the stove, I heated packs of hot cocoa mix with cream and cooked until it was slightly thickened. What an aroma!!
Then I simply poured the warm chocolate slowly into the butter and sugar and beat it for several minutes until it was smooth and fluffy. It is a different consistency than your average buttercream…. once you pipe it on to the top of the cupcakes, it kind of ‘settles’ and looks super smooth! Really cool. Just be careful to only do a small mound in the center of the cupcake as it will spread slightly.
Top them with mini marshmallows and mini chocolate chips for a cute look!
- your favorite chocolate cupcakes
- 1 stick softened butter
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup hot cocoa mix
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- mini marshmallows
- mini chocolate chips
- Beat butter until smooth. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Heat hot cocoa mix and cream on the stove. Stirring constantly on medium heat, cook until boiling and thickened.
- Allow to cool slightly, then slowly pour the warm chocolate into the powdered sugar and butter and continue beating until fluffy.
- Add extra cream if it is too thick or extra powdered sugar if it is too thin. It will thicken slightly as it cools completely.
- Top with marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Store in the refrigerator.
If you loved these cupcakes, I have another SUPER FUN Christmas treat for you!
This Red Hot Cinnamon Popcorn is crazy good and looks so festive. Check it out!!