RED HOT CINNAMON POPCORN
(adapted from Gooseberry Patch)
Around here this is a holiday treat! We’ve been making it for the last 12 years or more and this red hot cinnamon popcorn has come to be a family favorite. Everyone LOVES the smell of it baking and we’re eager to snitch a piece before it’s even done. The aroma of sweet cinnamon wafting through the house while the Christmas lights are on and the Christmas music is playing. . . aaahh, so holiday-ish with so many great memories! I just made a batch this week, and it’s already gone. It sure doesn’t last long around our house!
(If you want a great book of recipes, check out this book from Gooseberry Patch)
WATCH OUR VIDEO BELOW!
Start by popping your popcorn. You can use microwave popcorn, a hot air popper, whatever you wish!
Butter your pans (of course, I make it on 2 of our favorite pans) and spread the popcorn evenly.
Bake the popcorn at 225 degrees while you work on preparing the cinnamon syrup.
In a 4-cup measuring cup, place your red hots (cinnamon imperials). (I found the best price for these is at your local Dollar Tree. Their bags vary from 5.5-6.5 oz.)
Pour in white sugar until it is up to the 3-cup line.
Pour into a heavy saucepan and add the butter, corn syrup, and salt.
Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until boiling. Boil for 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and continue stirring, making sure all the red hots (cinnamon imperials) are completely dissolved.
Carefully stir in the baking soda.
Working quickly, pour over the warmed popcorn, tossing to coat.
Bake at 225 degrees for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
After one hour, remove from the oven and immediately dump onto wax paper.
Allow to cool before breaking into pieces and storing in an air tight container.
Take to your next party or family gathering and let everyone rave over it!
- 6 qts. popped popcorn
- 18 oz. red hot cinnamon candies (cinnamon imperials)
- white sugar
- 3 sticks butter
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- Butter 2-3 large cookie sheets. Spread popcorn evenly.
- Bake in 225 degree oven while you prepare cinnamon syrup.
- Place red hot cinnamon candies (cinnamon imperials) in a 4-cup measuring cup and fill with white sugar until it reaches the 3-cup line.
- Pour into a heavy saucepan and add butter, corn syrup and salt.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil being sure to stir constantly.
- Boil for 5 minutes, making sure red hots (cinnamon imperials) are completely dissolved.
- Remove from the heat. Add the baking soda.
- Working quickly, pour over the warmed popcorn. Toss to coat.
- Bake at 225 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven after one hour and immediately dump onto wax paper.
- Allow to cool before breaking into pieces and storing in an air tight container.
more great popcorn recipes for you . . .