Make-Ahead Oatmeal Pancake Mix | Easy DIY Recipe
Who doesn’t love warm pancakes for breakfast in the morning? Topped with delicious maple syrup or your favorite fruit topping….they’re so satisfying!
My kids would love pancakes for breakfast every day, but pancakes are not always the healthiest of breakfasts.
That’s when I decided to do two things to make our mornings better:
First, come up with a healthier version of pancakes that made me feel good about feeding them to my kids.
And second, create an oatmeal pancake mix that I could make ahead so that I could get breakfast done more quickly in the mornings.
Say hello to this Make-Ahead Oatmeal Pancake Mix recipe! 😉
The great thing about this is that even my older kids have time to make this since I’ve already mixed up the oatmeal pancake mix! (On school mornings, every minute counts. 😉 )
These pancakes are still light and fluffy…..but they’re really hearty, too, and they keep my kids full for a long time. Win win!
I mean….look at these pancakes….who would think that they’re more than half oats?
Oatmeal health benefits — what are they??
- They are a good source of carbs + fiber + protein
- They’re loaded with nutrients
- They are rich in antioxidants that may reduce blood pressure
- They can lower cholesterol levels
- They can stabilize blood sugar
- They are gluten-free (as long as they’re not cross-contaminated)
- They slow your digestion and make you feel full longer, which can help with weight loss
- They prevent constipation
Oatmeal health benefits are pretty substantial, so they’re a great addition to your breakfast!
Here’s what’s in this Make-Ahead Oatmeal Pancake Mix:
For my 4-quart OXO Good Grips POP container, I mixed up 9 cups of quick oats, 6 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup + 1 T. baking powder, 1/2 cup + 1 T. sugar, and 3 T. salt.
I recommend mixing this in a bowl first and then filling up your container. You want to be sure that the baking powder gets evenly distributed!
(If you want a great container that is tightly-sealed, these OXO Good Grips POP containers are the best! I’ve got my whole pantry organized with them!)
When you’re ready to make pancakes in the morning, just take 1 1/2 cups of your oatmeal pancake mix and add 1 egg, 1/4 cup oil, and 1 cup milk or water (makes 6-8 pancakes….I always double it for my crew).
Let this sit for 10 minutes so that the oats can soak. Then prepare your pancakes as normal! 🙂
You’ll have a nice, hearty breakfast in no time!
Make-Ahead Dry Mix
- 9 cups quick oats
- 6 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 T. baking powder
- 1/2 cup + 1 T. sugar
- 3 T. salt
Ingredients to add to dry mix
- 1 1/2 cups Make-Ahead Dry Mix (recipe above)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup milk or water
- Combine ingredients for Make-Ahead Dry Mix in a large bowl, making sure everything is evenly mixed.
- Store Make-Ahead Dry Mix in a 4-quart container.
- To prepare 6-8 oatmeal pancakes, combine 1 1/2 cups Make-Ahead Dry Mix, 1 egg, 1/4 cup oil, and 1 cup milk or water.
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes to soak the oats.
- Prepare griddle and cook pancakes as normal.
*Your pancake mix may settle as it sits in the container. Try to "fluff it up" before measuring it out.
*If your batter seems too thick, add a little more water or milk.