This BBQ Chicken Skillet makes for an easy weeknight dinner idea!
All this wrapped up in a one skillet meal. It’s flavorful, cheesy, warm and squishy and delicious!
This recipe reminds us of our family’s favorite Tamale Pie. This is a whole different set of flavors, but the cornbread skillet idea is the same idea, only upside down. This bbq chicken skillet has the cornbread on the bottom; the tamale pie has it on the top. 🙂
Both recipes are great comfort foods!
:: PIN IT NOW FOR LATER ::
This recipe is simple.
Bake your cornbread (with added ingredients, because that makes it good!!) in the skillet in the oven.
Add a flavorful bbq chicken topping.
Put it back in the oven and bake some more.
This is a recipe I like to use prepared shredded chicken that I have in my freezer. If you know us, you know we like to save time where we can. And that can certainly happen with this dinner recipe if you already have cooked and shredded chicken in your freezer!
I like to cook my chicken breasts in some chicken base because it adds so much flavor!
You’ll need an oven proof skillet, like this. This Cuisinart pan is the perfect size for this dish.
Your normal tendency is to want to grab that skillet handle, but using these hot pads that stay on the handle keep you from burning yourself.
For a really quick meal preparation, you can even cook the chicken mixture the day before and refrigerate it until the next day.
BBQ Chicken Skillet
- 2-3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Jiffy corn muffin mixes (8.5 oz each)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 can corn, drained
- 2 eggs
- 2-2.5 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked & shredded
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 3/4 cups bbq sauce, divided
- 2-3 Tbsp. lime juice
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- green onions, sour cream (optional toppings)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In an oven-proof skillet (about 3 1/2 quarts) place 2-3 Tbsp. butter. Put the pan in the oven until the butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, mix together corn muffin mix, sour cream, 4 Tbsp. melted butter, corn and eggs. Mix and let sit for 3-4 minutes.
- Place cornbread mixture in the skillet and put back in the oven for 22-25 minutes.
- Put 2 Tbsp. oil in a skillet on the stove. Add onions and cook until soft. Add the shredded chicken, 2 cups bbq sauce, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat until completely warmed.
- After the cornbread is done, remove from the oven.
- With the bottom of a wooden spoon, poke holes in the cornbread.
- Pour 3/4 cup bbq sauce over.
- Add the chicken mixture, then the cheese on top. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for 15 more minutes.
- If desired, place under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the cheese.
- Cut into pie slices to serve.
The leftovers of this dish are just as delicious!
LOOKING FOR SOME MORE EASY DINNER IDEAS?