My Mom has made this for years and it was always one of my favorites growing up. Something about the Southwestern flavors and the cheesiness and the warm cornbread topping just gets me every time.
I’ll have to admit it’s hard capturing the deliciousness of tamale pie on camera haha. But trust me, it tastes amazing 😉
This makes a great weeknight meal – it’s basically a one-dish meal and can be thrown together very quickly. I know in our family, we like to keep canned tomatoes, corn, beans, and Jiffy mixes on stock at all times so we can make tamale pie or taco soup or really anything Mexican haha. That’s definitely one of our favorite types of food around here!
Start off by browning the meat with the onions, draining the grease, and seasoning with taco seasoning.
Then mix everything together right in your 9×13 baking dish (let’s all cheer for an easy *almost* one-dish meal haha).
Top it with corn muffin mix (thank you, Jiffy!) and cheese and bake and . . . voila you have Tamale Pie! 🙂
I like to serve it with sour cream and salsa and cilantro (and avocado if I have any!)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can Rotel with diced chiles
- 1 can yellow corn, drained
- 1 can beans (rinsed black, pinto, red, or kidney)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 boxes prepared Jiffy corn muffin mix
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook ground beef and onions together, drain, and season with taco seasoning.
- Layer in 9x13 baking dish.
- Add tomatoes, chiles, corn, beans, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Mix everything in the pan.
- Top with prepared corn muffin mix and top with cheese.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Top with sour cream, cilantro, and salsa.
If you don't have Rotel, you can use a can of diced tomatoes and a small can of green chiles instead.
. : PIN ME TO MAKE LATER : .
Looking for more great recipes??