ICED LEMON GINGER TURMERIC TEA
You may or may not know that turmeric, the main spice in curry, has several health benefits.
The most amazing one to me is its anti-cancer effects, since turmeric contains the healing-compound ‘curcumin.’
(Here is a great article on the benefit of turmeric [read #6 about cancer!])
So, it doesn’t hurt to sneak some into a nice cold drink like this Iced lemon Ginger Turmeric Tea! 🙂
On summer days, I love having a nice, cold drink that’s also super-healthy for me and guilt-free!
(Drinking this tea HOT is just as yummy!)
I’ve been keeping my fridge supplied with this Iced Lemon Ginger Turmeric Tea, and my entire family loves it.
My kids say it tastes just like “juice,” but they are getting so many health benefits by drinking this once a day, and it makes this momma happy! 😉
HOW TO MAKE TURMERIC TEA
To make this tea, you’ll need fresh ingredients – fresh ginger, fresh lemon, cinnamon sticks, and turmeric.
I love how pretty and bright these ingredients are!
TIP: to peel ginger, just use the edge of a spoon! It scrapes off really easily!
You’ll need 1/4 cup sliced fresh ginger, 2 sliced fresh lemons, 3 cinnamon sticks, and 1 tsp. turmeric.
Combine the above ingredients with 2 quarts water in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
After the tea is done and cooling, combine the juice from 2 lemons with sweetener of your choice. I usually use about 1/3 cup of raw honey, but you can use whatever you like!
Next, add the lemon-honey mixture to a pitcher, then strain the tea into the pitcher, leaving the lemon, ginger, and cinnamon behind.
Pour into glasses and enjoy over ice or cold from the fridge!
Kay, one of our readers, says:
“I made this drink and it’s really good! I added about 1/2 tsp of black pepper because the capsaicin in black pepper aids the absorption of the Curcumin in turmeric helping your body receive all the health benefits of turmeric. This is a refreshing summer drink and a good way to get turmeric into your system!”
*This post was originally published in May 2017
You may enjoy these healthy breakfast ideas!
- 2 quarts water
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- Juice from 2 lemons
- Sweetener to taste (I use 1/3 cup raw honey)
- Combine water, sliced lemons, sliced ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove saucepan from burner. Leave the saucepan covered and allow the tea to cool.
- While the tea is cooling, put juice from 2 lemons and sweetener in a pitcher.
- To add the tea to the pitcher, put a mesh strainer over the pitcher opening, and strain the tea as you pour it in, discarding the cinnamon sticks, ginger, and lemon slices.
- Taste-test and sweeten to your liking.
- To serve, pour over ice. Enjoy!