This homemade chili seasoning recipe is perfect for soup night! This chili seasoning can be used with ground beef chili, ground turkey chili, venison chili, or even vegetarian chili. Simmer your chili over the stove, or let the flavors meld in the crockpot all day. With this easy and flavorful chili seasoning recipe, making chili for an easy dinner recipe will be easier than ever!
My husband prefers his chili very spicy, but my toddlers do not! 🙂 This chili seasoning recipe is easily adjustable to suit your family’s taste. Beans, canned tomatoes, and meat + this chili seasoning recipe = a delicious and hearty meal. It is frugal too!
What ingredients are in chili seasoning?
- chili powder – Fun fact! I live in Zambia, and there is no chili powder here. So we bring our own with us . . . this one is our favorite!
- cumin – contains so many antioxidants plus has the best flavor profile for chili
- garlic powder – we add garlic to almost everything 😛
- coriander – did you know that coriander promotes good gut health?
- oregano – a staple herb!
- turmeric – have you tried our Iced Lemon Ginger Turmeric Tea? So healthy and refreshing!
- paprika – if you can get this smoked paprika, it’s even better.
- cayenne pepper – if you aren’t a fan of spicy chili, this is the spice you’ll want to omit.
- flour – just all-purpose flour . . . thickens everything up
How to use this homemade chili seasoning :
- Choose your beans – you can make chili from any type of beans! Try a combo of red beans and kidney beans, black beans and white beans . . . . experiment and use whatever beans that your family enjoys best.
- Choose your canned tomatoes – I like to use diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes, along with a small can of tomato paste to add the thickened texture.
- Choose your meat – our family favorite is ground beef, but you can use ground chicken, ground turkey, venison, or go vegan with no meat.
- Choose your vegetables – chopped green peppers, minced onion, a can of corn, diced carrots . . . the options for veggies are endless.
Making the best homemade chili:
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute 1 pound meat, season with salt and pepper, then drain the fat.
- Add 3 cans canned tomatoes, 5 cans canned beans, and vegetables.
- Add 1 full recipe of chili seasoning.
- Boil for a few minutes, then simmer on stove, or all day in slow-cooker.
- Top with shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, jalapeño, and sour cream if desired.
Thekitchn.com says “While cumin, chile powder, and cayenne pepper tend to be common additions to many chili recipes, there’s a broad world of flavor out there to experiment with. Try a little fenugreek, turmeric, garam masala, or sumac to layer in more complex flavors. Smoky paprika is my own personal favorite.”
Wellnessmama.com says “Essentially, all chili seasoning mixes contain chili powder, along with many other ingredients.” Chili powder is just a part of chili seasoning; they are not equal.
Yes! You’ll get better results the longer you simmer it.
“Chili is famous for its spicy flavor. This is thanks to a spice mix which typically includes chile, cumin, and garlic powder. Adding the mix at the beginning of the cooking process will ensure that it infuses every bite with flavor.” says chefworks.com. With this seasoning blend, your chili will definitely taste exactly they way it should!
Are you on a diet? Chili is a great meal choice for keto, paleo, low carb, or gluten free! Just omit the flour in the seasoning mix, and add more tomato paste until you achieve the desired thickness.
Are you in need of a system to organize all those spices you keep collecting? These spice jars are the best for organizing your spice cabinet!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks! / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Chili Seasoning Recipe
Chili seasoning recipe with robust flavor to make the best homemade chili
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix all spices together.
- Use immediately, or store in a well sealed jar.
More homemade spice blend recipes:
- This Roasted Chicken Rub Spice Mix turns simple chicken into a 5 star dish. It can also be rubbed onto zucchini slices, potatoes, or whatever other vegetables you like to roast.
- This Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe is so great to have on hand. You’ll never need to buy packaged taco seasoning again!
- This Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix can be used for sooo many things. It can even be used for our favorite Garlic Ranch Pretzels – believe me, these are YUM.