EASY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
This Easy Breakfast Casserole recipe is a favorite! It takes no time at all to whip it together for a weekend breakfast. Combine sausage and frozen hashbrown potatoes with eggs and cheese for the BEST easy breakfast or brunch casserole!
Breakfast is certainly one of our favorite meals of the day… and when the mornings start early and are too busy for a hot meal, we just move that breakfast meal to the end and finish our long day with breakfast for dinner!! Another of our fave breakfast for dinners is our sausage gravy recipe! It is to die for. But of course, pancakes give that bit of sweet you might just be craving, I mean, brunch isn’t really brunch without maple somewhere in it, right?! You need to have this oatmeal pancake mix on hand at all times! 🙂
Use this easy breakfast casserole as your main dish and mix up a few quick sides, or even serve it on its own.
EASY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE FOR A WEEKNIGHT DINNER!
Our family has loved egg casseroles for a long time. For a low carb option, this Crustless Quiche is the way to go! Another low carb option AND on-the-go option is our Spinach and Sausage Egg Cups. There’s something about starting the day off with a punch of protein and veggies. I love when I have these options in my fridge to reheat throughout the week!
My favorite things about this breakfast:
- It’s easy!
- It’s full of protein!
- It’s fairly cheap!
- It’s hearty and fills everyone up!
- It’s a favorite!
This classic breakfast casserole always is a hit! Packed full of hash browns, eggs, sausage, cheese and cottage cheese, it is chock full of protein and explodes with flavor!
HOW TO MAKE OUR EASY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE – NO OVERNIGHT NEEDED!
You just need to keep a few easy ingredients on hand to mix up this casserole anytime you need it! It’s also the perfect breakfast to whip up one afternoon and reheat a serving at a time to enjoy during the week. Just pop a piece in the microwave for a quick reheat.
I love that it is great as is, but I can also customize the ingredients to what I have on hand or what my family likes. I almost always add some veggies!!
(recipe card below has full ingredient list)
- Shredded Cheese
- Cottage Cheese
- Diced Hashbrown Potatoes
Most of these items I have on hand all the time! This is the basic list, but I’ll tell you… an easy way to get veggies into your family is to load this easy breakfast casserole with some. They won’t be able to resist the cheesy goodness and won’t even notice all the vegetables.
You can add things like…
Don’t be scared to change up the ingredients to what you have on hand. This recipe is easy to modify!
- Sausage: Bacon, Turkey sausage, or Ham
- Diced Hashbrown Potatoes: Tater tots or Shredded hashbrowns
- Shredded Cheese: Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, Swiss cheese, or Monterey Jack
- Cottage cheese: You can add more shredded cheese or omit it
- Milk: Half and half or Heavy cream
(full directions on recipe card below)
- Preheat oven.
- Brown the sausage.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and cottage cheese together.
- Add in optional veggies and seasonings.
- Mix the potatoes, meat and shredded cheese in pan.
- Pour the egg/ milk mixture over.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until center is set and not jiggly.
- Let cool slightly, and enjoy!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH OUR EASY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE :
You may find this is plenty filling and satisfying on its own, but to make it a full brunch or weeknight dinner you may want some sides! Here are some ideas I like to serve it with.
- Fruit: Honey Lime Rainbow Fruit Salad from Cooking Classy
- Bread: Cinnamon Bread Dippers or Banana Zucchini Bread, Biscuits
- Pancakes: Oatmeal Pancakes or Sheet Pan Apple Pancakes
- Waffles: Fluffy Homemade Waffles from Life, Love & Sugar
- Muffins: Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins or Espresso Chocolate Chunk Muffins
- Coffee Cake: Maple Pecan Coffee Cake
HOW TO STORE EASY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE:
Refrigerator: Up to 3 days in an airtight container. (Make it one afternoon and have breakfast meals ready for all week!)
Freezer: Thaw overnight and reheat in oven or microwave. (You can freeze in individual size pieces for quick hearty breakfasts on the go)
A helpful tip for storing it, is to bake it in a dish that has a plastic lid. This makes it very convenient for keeping in the refrigerator and you don’t have to deal with foil falling off your pan each time you pull it out!
This Pyrex dish is one I’ve had in my kitchen for a long time!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks! / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
EASY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPE:
Easy Breakfast Casserole
Warm, comforting, easy to prepare breakfast casserole with lots of substitition options!!
- 8 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 pkg diced potato hash browns, frozen
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 lb sausage
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brown the sausage until no longer pink.
- Mix the sauage, frozen potatoes, and shredded cheese in a 9x13 pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, cottage cheese and seasonings.
- Pour over the sausage mixture in the pan.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake and additional 15-20 minutes until eggs are set in the center of the pan.
- Let cool slightly and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers and simple reheat in microwave throughout the week.